Kit Car Question

Hello

Our school has been competing with a kit car for two years now and have only modified it slightly. My question is how much of the original kit has to be left to compete in the kit car class?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob Selley

Comments

• As long as the chassis has not been altered in any way you can do as you wish as I understand it.

Chris
  • Hi Rob, we have a kitcar and one major change is to cut the metal seat out and replace with lighter material - quite a saving even if replaced with 6mm ply! Seen a lot of teams drilling holes in the chassis - just be warned about stress points - you wouldn't get through scrutineering if they thought your car would disintegrate with a bump.

Chris
  • Sounds like a lot of work for zero gain if I may say so. Car weight is not particularly a big deal, particularly with kit cars which are really heavy anyway. It's the aerodynamic efficiency and chassis rolling resistance that counts for most of a car's performance so if you can fine tune the steering and body shape you will find that will have a more beneficial effect than marginal weight savings. You could make good use of the available 2.8 meter allowable length for instance. In our kit car we built in the 2016 regulation foam filler at the front so our car kit car was longer than most other kit cars this year and we did pretty well with that along with other tweaks, particularly around the front wheel, steering and axle area to help reduce drag. You could perhaps also reshape the roll bar upright profile as that could help a little. If I were involved for another season I'd also probably have a look to alter the rear end profile.

We have really enjoyed our kit car and have been very surprised with the success we have achieved. I really wish I was involved next race season to see what else we could do with it as our other cars (FR-6M & FR-5M) can't really be improved performance wise.

CC
  • We've left our standard kit parts (other than gear ratio) the same. To me, there's a large amount of opportunity for argument as to what the standard chassis actually is - Is it just the one main chassis part, or the hubs, wishbones etc? Still, a lot can be done to a kit car without changing these - gear ratios, voltage and current monitoring, speed controllers, aerodynamics, the lost goes on. As foremarke said, weight is not much of an issue due to the fact that resistance from weight does not increase with velocity, whereas friction, rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag do. On top of that, most of the weight cannot be removed, parts such as the motor, the batteries, and the driver. Weight loss of the final one is.... arguable.

The kit car is a great way to get into the sport for kids, often when building a car, many wouldn't know where to start. The kit car solves this. If you want to be competitive in F24, the kit car isn't a hugely viable option but is good for developing a team member's knowledge of the basic physics and engineering involved in Greenpower.
  • You can download a fully detailed CAD model of the F24 Kit Car which contains all the standard parts and has the correct mass. To download please visit www.siemens.com/plm/academic/greenpower. If you haven't yet started using Siemens Solid Edge you can get an academic site license for free by registering at www.siemens.com/plm/solid-edge-highschool
  • Confirmation of what can be modified would be good from GP.

We could do with adjustment on the seat as we have some small year 7's to tall year 10's and it would make a nice little project for our new members.